A new chapter in Introductory Organic Chemistry course. Lecture PowerPoint file and laboratory document are also included in this work.
- The goal of this chapter is to cover the basic ground of the food additives from the perspective of organic chemistry. This chapter has three parts.
- Part one: Introduction of the food additive industry including the history, definition and the purposes of food additives.
- Part two: The terminology in food additives and in organic chemistry, how to locate trustworthy data sheets for chemicals, and how to interpret the toxicity data.
- Part three: Different families of organic compounds used as food additives in modern food industry, discussions about their structures, chemical properties and health concerns.
- Lecture PowerPoint slides have all in-class questions/discussions and after-class assignments listed.
- Laboratory document – Synthesis of Yellow 5 (Sunset yellow), an Azo dye used in food industry. Document includes a short introduction, detailed experimental procedure and post-laboratory questions.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 License.