On July 18, 2017, Dr. Herbert L. Needleman, of Squirrel Hill, Pittsburgh, a pediatrician and a child psychiatrist who greatly contributed to improve environmental health worldwide by demonstrating in the late 1970s that children exposed to even small amounts of lead could suffer intellectual and behavioral disorders, passed away. He was living at Weinberg Village, an assisted living home in Glen Hazel, neighbor in Pittsburgh, Pa., where he had spent the last two years while suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Dr. Needleman's work prompted regulations that limited or banned the metal in a range of common products, like gasoline and paint, and set a standard for the modern study of environmental toxins. He was an elected member of the Institute of Medicine and the founder of the Alliance to End Childhood Lead Poisoning, later known as the Alliance for Healthy Homes which has since merged with the National Center for Healthy Housing. The cause of his death was pulmonary edema. He was 89.
Romero, A. 2018. In Memoriam: Herbert L. Needleman (1927-2017). Environmental Research 165:507-509. (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2017.11.048)
Available for download on Saturday, June 13, 2020