An OER resource for Hum1: Modern Humanities: Arts & Ideas
Humanities Course Description: Through the exploration of modern literature, drama, art, film, poetry, and music, this course places developments in the Humanities into historical and philosophical contexts and illustrates the continuity of culture. This course introduces students to literature, philosophy, art, film, and music from the beginning of the 20th century to the present.
Humanities Course Objectives: At the completion of this course, students will be able to
1. become acquainted with the human tradition as expressed in its literature, philosophy, and the arts;
2. become familiar with seminal modern ideas and theories as expressed through literature, philosophy, and the arts;
3. examine underlying assumptions about and ways of seeing literature, philosophy, and the arts;
4. think critically about the humanities by looking outward at the world and formulating thoughtful and informed ideas about it; and
5. understand themselves as persons whose identities are shaped through participation in a wider community and longer history.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 License.