Discusses the construction of and military training provided at the boot camp for the Women's Reserve, or Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service (WAVES), established in 1943 on Hunter College's Bronx campus. By the time it closed in 1946, 85,885 WAVES, 1,914 SPARS (the Women's Coast Guard Reserve), and 3,339 Marines had enrolled.
"Making Waves in the Bronx: The Story of the U.S. Naval Training School (WR) at Hunter College." The Bronx County Historical Society Journal. 30,1 (Spring, 1993): 1-15